Thursday, 30 June 2011

Saturday June 25th 2011

0500h We set out this morning for Canakkale ( means Pottery Castle.) 26 miles up the Dardenelles.These are shipping lanes so Malcolm is concerned about dodging large ships. Not sure why the Dandenelles are 3 miles wide !There is a 3 knot current against us and the winds are still blowing.
With 5 hours to travel we each take a one hour watch.Easy,very few ships and we stayed to one side so we were well out of the way of any traffic but there was none.
1030h Malcolm took over as we got closer to the marina. a couple of ferries going across our path, he’s still uneasy letting anyone sail when there is anything at all around. There’s more traffic in Toronto Harbor and less room to maneuver !Canakkale is bustling with people, very busy,reminded me of Guadalajara.
Gelibolu (gallipoli)peninsula is across the Dandanelles and can be reached by ferry. Most of the war memorials or there. We had planned to be here for 3 days but due to the wind while in Bozcaada we are behind schedule.The rest of the crew will stop here on the way back for 3 days and explore then.
I didn’t bother taking my camera into town other than the replica Trojan horse there is nothing to shoot. The other Trojan house , used in the movie is 35km away in Troy.I hear from many there isn’t much to see there. It is written: there is no proof that the Trojan War took place,Homer’s epic could be based on several wars fought rather than a 10 year war. Troy is in layers the oldest Troy I being 3600 BC, Troy IX 300 BC to 300 AD.They suggest you show up with no expectations and use your imagination !!The battle fields don’t interest me so I wasn’t disappointed that I would miss them.
1200h I walked Altan over to the bus station and we said our good byes. He hopes to meet with us in Istanbul for the day. I walked over to get my phone SIM card loaded but with the girls lacking in english I was unable to get a connection. hoping to find a dealer in Istanbul.
Reed and Nadeane packed up and went to a museum and then heading off to Germany. Our new crew is Jenny from Ireland and Paul from Alaska ( born in Texas with a heavy drawl )Jenny,Mark and I picked up some supplies and when we arrived back we planned to have a cold beer on the promenade. Malcolm , worried about getting up the Dard. Had been scoping out the situations and suggests we leave now. Anyone oppose?he said, Well we were just going to have a cold beer ,I said. Besides going for a cold beer he said. 1430h we drop the lines and head out . Next stop Balikli on Pasalimani island 65 miles up the Dardenelles into the Sea of Marmara.
Malcolm plans to arrive by 1000h the next morning.
1500h-2100h Malcolm and Jenny take the first watch at 2100 so until then we are all taking turns. I decided to have a nap from 1600h-1800h so that I would be rested for the 1200h-0300h watch with Alison.
1900h Dinner is on the hoof as Malcolm says. Alison made a nice salmon casserole with noodles, carrots and brocolli making dinner easy to eat from a bowl in the rolling seas.
2030h Alison and I went to our cabin and watched a movie and then rested during the bumpy ride up the Dardenelles to Pasalimani island.
Malcolm and Jenny had some rough seas , squalls , rain and heavy winds so you can imagin what resting was like. We put up the divider between us so we wouldn’t roll over onto each other.
1200-0300 Our watch was uneventful. A bit of rain for 20 min.I nestled up near the winches on the seat cushions and behind the bimini windows.At one point I think I went into a daze. thinking about my dad hard to imagine I would not see him again. Nothing came up on radar which was set for a 1.5 mile radius. We did spot a cruise ship about 4 kms away, hard to miss all the lights on the 6 level liner. (Dawn Princess)Winds were 10 knots and the current was gone. By the end of our watch we had reached 5.2knots over ground. We should arrive earlier then expected.
0300 I popped a ¼ sleeping pill to help me get a better sleep.Mark and Paul were now on watch.
Hope you are all well and the weather is getting better.