Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Tuesday June 7th 2011

We have sailed out of Sigacik this morning at 1000h. We will be heading up the coast about 8 miles to a lunch time anchorage called Gokkovear Limani a deep fjord. The sides of the fjord are bordered by rocky sculptures. In 2007 there were 7 fish farms which at the time limited mooring space, discolored water, smelt and compromised the beauty of this place.
After lunch 1430h we had a game of cards and then set out for the overnight anchorage in Sarpdere Liman 38 10’.3N 26 30’.55E.
Malcolm tries to get some sailing in along the coast but the winds coming off the mountains is pulling us inland so we eventually put the motor on. Malcolm like to set the course for a direct B line to the destination so when the wind is coming at us head on,we motor at 1200rpm/4knots. He says the boat doesn’t tack well. ?? We do all the work so I don’t see why we can’t do it and travel 6 knots we may get there in the same amount of time and get to sail.  He also says in general most people sailing around here sail only 40 % of the time the rest is motoring.
You can tell everyone is unsure of what they are allowed to do on the boat.
I may be repeating myself but while we are anchoring and not at a marina there isn't much to do but read and hang out playing cards. The spots all start to look the same. Not too many homes ,lots of hills all around and very quiet. The water temp in the small bays is 20-27 degrees. I went in once after our long walk into town the other day. I was sooo hot.The water was only 20 that day and it felt like ice water when i jumped in.brrrr.

We anchor at 1700h . Alison made a lovely steak with mushroom and onion gravy, mashed potatoes and zucchini with tomatoes.
Boys are playing cards, Alison is sewing and I’m going to watch a movie after I finish the last 5 pages of my first book.
I think I’ll start on ‘the girl with the dragon tattoo’ which should get me to the end of the month.
Cheers, hope you are all well and you got some warm weather.
We traveled 23 miles today.