The plan today is to go to the beach for the whole day. Altan had decided to join me.
1100h Nadeane has asked if I had any requests for dinner since it is my birthday. There is a fishermans wharf here so why not have fish !
Altan, Nadeane and I head over to check out the fresh fish available today.
15 tl per pound of the local fish, they clean, scale and wrap them up for us,Nadeane takes them back to the boat. She’s on galley duty today.
1200h Altan and I walk over to catch the bus to the beach. We have packed a small lunch and a tall beer each. It’s too hot to take more, they will be warm in an hour.
1230h it’s a breezy day but once we walk down 30 steps to the beach it’s warmer with very little breeze.We settle half way down the beach with a parasol and chaise lounges. The young guys in charge of chairs come over with there binder and tickets in hand. 12tl for the day. We cracked open the beer and shared some nuts and nacho chips.
After an hour it starts to get very toasty so we head for the water. Lots of smooth stones going in but still an eeh and an ahh to get to the sand 10 feet away. As I watch others going in it’s funny to see them all doing the same dance unless they were smart enough to bring there water shoes. The water is about 24 degrees. Once I was in up to my waist it felt like my ankles were wrapped in ice packs.I got used to the throb I dipped to my shoulders. Altan was braver and took a dive and swam to the diving platform 100 ft out, I yelled out “It‘s like swimming in Norway !!.5 min. and I was refreshed and ready for lunch. We broke some fresh bread, threw on some tomatoes and cheese and salted a cucumber.
1400h We through on some sunblock adjusted the chairs to get in the shade and tried to get a nap in. After 20 min. it was just too hot to get comfortable. Back in the frigid waters !Altan went up to the restaurant for another beer. He came back with 2 in a brown paper bag. I guess they don’t usually have “take out” beer here. It’s ok as a tourist but the locals don’t drink in public areas. Best to keep in covered. We had a long chat about many things I found out Altan’s birthday is Sept 17th. I’m 6 months older. He’s a Virgo which explains his personality and the fact that we get along well. I have many Virgo friends.He reminds me of my dear sailing buddy J.B. .1700h We decide to head up to the restaurant where there is a fresh water shower next to it. While sitting with our drinks a convoy of cars , police and a lead car with someone very important inside. They had a EU flag flying on the main car.A bunch of men in suits got out and walked over to the viewing platform above the beach. 10 min.later they were back in the cars. I didn’t take out my camera for fear of being nabbed by the military or secret service guys.I really don’t think it would have been a problem, but Altan thought it best not to.As they drove buy and I stood watching the “ VIP” looked at me and waves. We found out later it was some big guy from New Zealand.
1900h Back at the boat our fish dinner is just about ready. Delicious. After dinner Nadeane pulled out a strawberry shortcake and everyone sang. I’m sure she slaved over in the afternoon. She went out earlier in the day to buy some plain cake from the bakery but they would sell her one. She managed to find a flan at the market and then her and Reed did charades for the check out girl to get some candles. I guess it was quite drawn-out ,singing happy birthday, pretending to blow out candles and so on. It was the best strawberry cake.
2100h After dinner we all went over to the winery.A few blocks into town.There was a very tiny stage with a singer and they were serving wine out side of the store. The small alley way really a one car cobblestone street was filled with people. We watched a bit and Altan assured us that wine would be free later, he was right.
2200h they pulled out the rest of the bottles that were opened for the party and started serving in plastic cups. earlier is was 20 tl for a glass wine glass that could be refilled.It was a long day for me so I decided to go back to the boat. Altan and Reed stayed till midnight. the VIP from New Zealand showed up and had a drink and shook some hands.I guess they decided to buy a bottle of wine and drank it there. When they got back to the boat they were primed.We are leaving in the morning at 5 and my quess is they will have swollen heads.
| Birthday on the beach ! |
| Heading out for the wine festival |
| Altan making my lunch on the beach |
| Ashtrays on the beach |