Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Saturday June 4th 2011

Today we plan to go to Ephesus.Capital of the Roman province of Asia.
It became the principal commercial city of Asua In it was erected on eof the two wonders of the world to stand in Asia Minor, the temple of Artemis (the other was mausoleum in Halicarnassus)Ephesus declined when it’s harbour finally silted up. Today you would never know that there was water here,farm fields and roads take its place.
0930h we take a walk up to town to catch the Dolmus bus ( $5) each way for the trip 20km away. When we arrive we walk 15 min , 1km up the winding road. Its $12 to get in. Its already hot, luckily I brought my umbrella to get some shade. There are few trees here.
It is an amazing site.
The main street here was considered the Champs Elysee of the time, full of shops, funny though at the end of this street were some prison cells ! Shoplifters maybe!
We were done by 1230h returning to the boat.
It was a hot sticky day so I chose to get a shower in before lunch. Tim was cooking.
I went for a nap till 1700h so I would be energized for the walk into town to pick up supplies. When I got up, everyone else was also napping so I got them going.
When we do these grocery trips we all need to decide on what it is we want to make on our galley days so you need to think ahead a bit. When you get your stuff here you put it away and mark your name on it so no one uses it on you.
Malcolm is always insisting on 200g per person for meat so even if you don’t feel like cooking meat you do or you may get an ear full.
After dinner we sat around chatting. Florian was suppose to leave tonight but at 2100h he still hadn’t shown up. Turned out his bus broke down coming back from the tour he was on. ( 4 hrs.) so by the time he got here he only had an hour to get to his bus departing for Istanbul.( 10 hr trip).

Theater



 Champs Elysee of Ephesus
We leave in the morning about 1000h for an anchorage down the coast.