Thursday, 23 June 2011

Monday June 20th 2011

0900h This morning we are heading across the bay to Akcay ,5 miles ,for lunch and to get our paper work done to keep the coast guard happy.
It is nice and warm this morning so Altan and sit up at the front of the boat to catch some rays and chat. I had mentioned to him that I don’t see many homeless people on the street. He explained that they have places for them unlike at home but they also try to keep the younger generation at home which obviously seems to be working , I have only seen one man looking like he was living on the street.
1030h We arrive and put out the dingy to get into shore. I decide to go with Altan and Malcolm to get caught up on my blog and to pick up a few items from the market.
The town is busy, with shops along the harbor selling the usual tourist (Turkish)stuff, beach toys and souvenirs.I took a walk to find a post office ,ended up asking for directions showing my postcard. Luckily the office was down the street near the policia station so directions where easy to interpret with hand gestures and me already knowing where the station was.Turkish is a difficult language.I found spanish much easier ,so i am stuck at thank you and hello.!
The internet connection was good, Nice large open air café on the sea,with white pleather banquet seating and wingback chairs in white cloth. (sorry no photos).Cappuccino coffee 5 tl.
Malcolm gave me a 2 way radio so I could call the boat for my ride back but when I got to the dock I must have changed channels in my bag so I couldn’t contact them.( lots of chatter on radio, checked all channels.) Now I’m waving on the dock hoping someone reading in the cockpit will see me. 1240h
1310h Finally someone saw me and Altan jumped in the dingy. Funny, half way I see the dingy stopped moving and Altan is playing with the motor. I thought he might be out of gas, as it turned out (after he rowed in) he didn’t have the switch to the gasoline half way over. Had him go through the usual steps to figure it out the problem pinched line, vent open etc and he couldn’t get the motor back down. tilt towards you while pulling up on lock rather than against the lock, and back we go.
1330h is served. I was soo hot sitting on the dock after lunch I had a 10 minute warning before the dingy went up to take a swim. This time it was a straight dive in no yellow floaty aahhh that was refreshing !!
1430h We now plan to find a night time anchorage. 10 miles away is Kucukkuyu,we are too big to get into the marina so we hang out off shore.Its very open and a bit windy so we must make a plan for the next day. We are not close to any sheltered coves and heading north to Istanbul through the Dardanelles ,they are far and few between.we are about 100 miles from the Dardanelles, The winds will be 25 knots plus and the current is about 4 knots both against us.
1900h Alison made curry beef with rice and choclolate pudding for dessert.
Over dinner it was discussed and decided that we would do a night sail to Bozcaada. It’s 55 miles and we won’t have a good anchorage along the way.
Malcolm has set up the schedule for the night in 3 hour shifts. Alison and I will start at 2100h.the easiest shift ,not worries, still in the bay and everyone is still awake. Mark and Altan at 2400h,Nadeane and Reed at 0300h and then at 0600h Malcolm will take over for the ride into the harbor.
Our sail was uneventful ,Mark and Altan got around the point out into the open sea and came across some small fishing boats ,some with no lights but they saw us coming and pulled out the big spot light so they could be seen.
0300h Nadeane and Reed are up and now I am awake due to the rolling seas. I guess they had a rough time, We reduce our speed over ground from 5 knots to 2 knots with wind and sea conditions. At some point I hear the engine rev. higher and I knew Malcolm had gotten up. He wasn’t sleeping well either and knew he needed to get up to check out the situation. We are not authorized to increase rpm. By this time I guess it was 1730h.I knew I would be having a nap today ! Altan said he strapped himself in for fear of rolling off the top shelf. (bunk)