I am setting off on a sailing journey. I will be staying on a 50' Beneteau with 5 other people I have not met. We will travel the western coast of Turkey from Bodrum driving to Port of Yalikavak, sailing to Altinkum,2 nights Kusadasi, 2 nights Cesme, 3 nights Ayvalik Archipelago, 1 night Bozcaada, and 3 nights Canakkal then on to Istanbul where i will spend one night exploring before heading home.
Tuesday, 5 July 2011
Monday June 27th 2011
0900h we leave the cove to head to a lunch stop 8 miles away around the other side of Pasalimani Island.
1100h we arrive at the small cove, nothing here just a couple of houses in the hills. The plan is to leave here at 1230h and head to another small island around the corner about 8 miles. I questioned Malcolm on why we would go a short distance just to dine and leave at 2000h for our 67mile night sail. I always an answer with this look on his face like I should know his choice makes so much sense. I head into my cabin to do some reading and 5 minutes later after he gets on his laptop, I hear him telling everyone he has changed his plan and we are going to start the long sail in one hour. He does this a lot. Thinks about what his plan is and realized it may not make so much sense.
1345h we depart and head for Heybeliada ,one of 3 small islands in the Princess Island group just a few miles from Istanbul.
1500-1900h Malcolm and Jenny take the watch. I chose to relax in my cabin till our watch at 1800h
1800h-2100h It’s still daylight so Alison and I have an easy watch. No ships in sight so nothing to worry about.We are now in the Sea of Maramara.
0300h Not sure if I got a good sleep but I can always go back to bed when we arrive. Malcolm and Jenny had a bit of a time watching for boats some fishing boats didn’t come up on radar and they saw a few tankers cross there path.Malcolm made it very clear that we must watch for ships because we are right in the middle of the shipping lane and the entrance to the Bosphorus is coming up.15 miles away,He’s edgy.Sometimes I think he has no confidence in his crew.We didn’t see anything that would be an issue.One ship crossed behind us a mile away.
0530h We are now 1 mile from our destination and we need to wake Malcolm so he can take the boat into the anchorage in the cove.
0600h We have arrived. Mark and Paul get up and help drop the anchor and now it’s off to bed for a few hours.