Saturday, 28 May 2011

Flight and Arrival Friday May 28 2011

The fight across the pond was 9.5 hours from JFK.
9:30 am ( 3 am Canada time)
I arrived earlier than expected which gave me time to catch the earlier flight I wanted to take to Bodrum where my shuttle awaits to take me to the boat. Unfortunately I change to a later flight after reading that I wouldn’t be able to make a 1 hour connection. Domestic connection Is now 6 pm.
I had plenty of time to get a visa that would have cost 190 can. At the Turkish embassy in Toronto. I got to the counter with 20 people ahead of me thinking this would take some time. 3 min. later and 45 euros ( 65 can.)I had a sticker and was on my way to customs. No questions , stamped my passport and I was on my way to get luggage. My bag was already there.
Now I needed to get a phone card. 4 retailers to chose from , I walked over paid my 29 euros ( and was connected in 30 min. )
10:15 am
I head over to the domestic terminal and check in for the 6 pm flight.
So now I wait. It’s warmer here so I decide to throw on some shorts.
The airport here is very clean not too busy on the domestic side so I go find myself a place to read. I’m tired 3 am your time and it’s a 7 hour wait.
A plane has just loaded so the lounge in section 104 is empty and they have those chairs without arms here ! 3 in a row and I’ve got myself a cozy spot for a nap! I manage to get 2 hours and then .. A child running up and down the rows stirs me. I get another 20 and now it’s time to sit up , I’m close to having the last few spots here.
Starbucks feeds me with a lovely salad ,roll and coffee. No cream here just steamed milk. 20 lira ( 12 dollars)
3:30 pm
2.5 hours to go . Ugh.

2.5 hours to go . Ugh.
7:15
I have arrived in Bodrum. No sign of shuttle. Lucky I got my phone hooked up, had to make a call. They were waiting for me at International rather than Domestic.
Driver doesn’t speak English. They have my emailed info so I think he knows where we are going. 20 min drive and looks like we are close. He says “ Delta” I say “ marina” maybe delta is marina in Turkish ?
It’s getting dark. We are along water, good sign. He stops several times to ask where the “ Delta “ is.
We stop at the drive way and he points. Oh ,,,, no,,,, not the Delta hotel.
Ma… ri…na. off again. After several text messages to my captain and questioning passers by, we finally reach the marina.
Malcolm my captain greets me and is accompanied by Alison and Tim. Not a couple but both from New Zealand. Tim is staying 10 more days . He has been here for 2 weeks now. Alison has been on for 2 weeks and is staying till the first of August.
I get a short tour of the boat my sleeping quarters and after a short chat and a beer I had to bed. The temperature is presently about 68-70. Nice for sleeping.